Sunday, July 27, 2014

Unpacking

My house looks like a bomb went off.  Those of you who know me well are probably thinking, “So what else is new?”  I really have been doing better with my messiness!  

I returned from the Philippines Monday evening after forty straight grueling hours of travel (24 in airplanes).  With no time to completely unpack my bags, my mind, or my heart, I was off to the She Speaks conference in Concord, NC. 



She Speaks is an annual conference put on by Proverbs 31 Ministry.  It is a powerhouse of a conference to train women who feel called to speaking, writing, and/or blogging because they love Jesus.

Wow!  All I can say is, “Wow!”  I know the phrase “drinking from a fire hose” can be overdone, but that is the only way I can describe the past three days. 

I don’t really feel like a Proverbs 31 type of gal.  I have no husband or children.  My life experience is very different from the demographic.  But I felt right at home anyway.   One would think that being in a room with 800 dynamic and beautiful women would be intimidating.  It was, at first.  But in almost every break out session, we were reminded that “There is only one me.  I am the expert at being me.  God wants to use me.” 

This seminar is a testimony to the power of prayer.  It was bathed in prayer.  I felt it.  I have so much more to unpack now.  Bags and memories from a life-changing trip to the Philippines.  An ocean of information from She Speaks.  Where do I begin?  Perhaps not today.  Today is my last day of being forty-something.  I need to just be.  

One of the other great aspects of the conference was the new friendships.  I met the most wonderful women at meals, in my seminars, in the ladies room (you know how us girls can make a party out of going to the bathroom!  And there is always a line…)

I met Carolina from Texas.  She loves teenagers.  Her last husband passed away from pancreatic cancer.  She has remarried (to the love of her life.)  And she is my age!  We had a wonderful time getting to know each other.



I met Natasha from Europe, now living in Greenville, SC.  She is a first generation Christian.  Lovely accent.  She is married with two boys and longs to go back to her home country and tell people about Jesus.  We had wonderful conversation over lunch.

I met Cara from Louisiana.  She is married with 3 children.  Cara lost over 100 pounds after reading Lysa Terkeurst’s book, Made to Crave.  She was so thrilled to meet her in person to say “thank you.”  Cara’s trip to She Speaks was paid for by fund raising back home.  Her friends are so proud of her and wanted to make this event possible for her.

There are many more.  So many unique women with unforgettable stories.  I have gathered amazing new friends in the past three weeks.  Some are oceans away, in Manila or Concepcion or Pozorrubio or Pagrai or Pinapal or Villa Corazon.  I can’t wait to tell you about them.  But for today, I want to revel in being forty-nine.  It has been a fabulous year.  What a ride!

6 comments:

  1. Happy birthday. I know many wonderful things are headed your way this 5th decade. Can't wait to read about your travels to the Philippines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! Congrats on your last chemo! I want to celebrate with you soon!!

      Delete
  2. Glad you were able to visit the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Kevin! I can see why you love the people. Extraordinary kindness and generosity.

      Delete
  3. So proud of you for saying "yes" to all God called you to, and with such gusto and grace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly! It was only through prayer that I had any gusto left. Ha! :) Grueling schedule but all was so good...

      Delete