Thursday, February 14, 2013

When God Sent Me Flowers




I used to dread Valentine’s Day, especially when it fell on a weekday.  Wherever I worked, it seemed that the flower vendors were in and out all day long.  My heart would ache…the enemy would whisper in my ear…”You have been forgotten.  You are special to no-one.  Other women are chosen and loved but you are not.”

Every year, I would pray, “Please let me have a special someone by next year, Lord.  Please let me find love soon.”  My 30’s were hard!  I confess, in many ways, I was believing lies and my focus was wrong.  But the heart wants what it wants and the pain was real. 

One such Valentines day I was feeling particularly sad and as I pulled into the parking lot at work, I saw a flower truck pulling in at the same time.  “Lord,” I said before I exited my car, “I really need for there to be flowers for me today on that truck.  I don’t care how you do it, but I need for you to send me flowers.”  I remember my first thought after I spoke that prayer was, “Janice, don’t do this to yourself.  Don’t set yourself up for disappointment.”  But then I said, “No, Lord, I know that you can do anything.  You can send me flowers if you want to.  I believe, help my unbelief.”

I walked into the building and the delivery man stood there with two beautiful arrangements of spring tulips (tulips are favorites).  One card had the name of my co-worker, Polly.  The other card had my name on it!

My heart flooded with gratitude and awe…I didn’t even care what the card said.  I knew these flowers were from the Lord.  As it turns out, the card was from female friends in my Bible study.  They just wanted to thank me for facilitating the study.  They had no idea of how much I had longed for Valentine flowers.  I had not shared this with them as it was too painful and too personal. 

Not only did I have the joy of knowing that God had heard my prayer and graciously answered it with flowers, but also I got to share the joy with my friends.  I hope that they remember how beautifully God chose to use them as instruments of His love and creativity.  I know that I will never forget. 

I still haven’t met my earthly Valentine.  But I can honestly say that the pain is gone.  I don’t have that ache on Valentine’s Day any longer.  I have hopeful expectation.  For the God who sent me flowers is the God who sees the sparrow fall and the God who knows the number of hairs on my head.  He is the God who spared my life from Ovarian Cancer and from Endometrial Cancer.  He will bring to me all good things in His perfect time. 

Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God.  Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
Luke 12:6&7  NIV 

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Coretta! Hope you are well, beautiful girl...

      Delete
    2. all the things I battle. wanting God to be enough, longing for the human love.

      Delete
    3. Simply Beautiful! God bless you!

      Delete
  2. Double Love this!! Keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you julie! Which Julie, are you? Message me so that I know...:)

      Delete
  3. Beautifully written, Janice. I've had some of those very thoughts. Such a good reminder of God's goodness and provision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! God Bless You!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Genevieve! I am so glad you are blessed by my words.

      Delete