Thursday, November 28, 2013

Lust and a Foot Washing

Preparing for a Foot Washing...Wedding of Greg & Allison Miller

A single woman who longs to find love often has little crushes on men in her life.  It is easy to form an attraction to men at work, especially when one works closely with men and develops a camaraderie.  In America, often times we spend more time with our workmates than with our families.  Forty to sixty working hours…that is a lot of time.  It is easy to see how affairs can happen.  It starts innocently enough…shared laughter, a glance, a compliment to a hungry heart.  I am so very grateful that I have not fallen into this trap…but I have not been immune to temptation.

Many years ago, one such temptation almost took me down.  It was lust, for sure, and my hungry heart was oh so weak.  The pull was magnetic.  Looking back now, it seems illogical.  I think that there was something demonic involved.  The Bible is clear that as Christians, we do face supernatural forces working against us.  It is crucial for us to be on guard.  I shudder to think of all that I would have lost if I had fallen.  Many others’ lives would have been impacted as well.

If you are reading this and you are struggling, I understand.  God understands.  You must run for your life!  Run away as if your life depends on it.  You will not regret running.  You will regret an affair.  It can never be blessed by God.  And it will trip you up and set you off course for a season…maybe for the rest of your life.

I was in a small women’s Bible study at the time with three other close friends.  This was critical for my spiritual growth and sense of family.  I entrusted them with my struggle and enlisted their prayers.  I know to-this-day that I was spared, in part, because of their prayers for me. 

One particular week, I was obsessed with the thought of this person.  I felt so frustrated with my thought-life and I was full of shame.  I knew that I had sinned with my thoughts, even though I had never acted on my desires.  At the end of that week, on a Friday evening, I went to a home fellowship meeting.  This was a group of about 10-15 people from my church who met once or twice a month for prayer and bible study.  I was not feeling very spiritual at the time and I had forced myself to go to the group.

It was an evening of prayer and ministry to each other.   The majority of the evening, I was present in body only.  I kept quiet.  These friends did not know about my struggles.   I remember being amazed as I witnessed God working that night.   A decision was made to put a chair in the center of the room and anyone who wanted ministry and prayer was invited to sit in the chair.  At one point, while a woman was sitting in the chair, another woman was praying for her and shared a vision of an envelope burning.  She asked the woman in the chair if her vision had any significance for her.  The woman in the chair began to weep.  Many years before, she had a miscarriage.  She had been so sorrowful and so angry at God, that she could not even bring herself to read the cards and letters she had received after the miscarriage.  The envelopes remained unopened, in a box in her home.  I watched as this woman was prayed over and loved, and she began to work through the pain she had carried for years.  It was a beautiful and hopeful moment.  How much God loved her; to speak to her this way through a sister-in-Christ.

I longed to get in the chair, but I was so full of shame and I felt unworthy.  I couldn’t bring myself to go there.  I sat on the floor, near a wall, with my bare feet tucked under me and my eyes downward.  It was summer time and I had taken off my sandals.

The same woman who had the vision of the envelope burning spoke to me at one point.  She said, “Janice, I think you should get in the chair.”   I was relieved to be invited.  I sat down with my eyes closed.  I heard some movement and some whispering…I wasn’t sure what was happening.  I sat and I waited with my eyes closed.  Then I felt something at my feet and the woman whom God had been using that night said, “Janice, the Lord told me that we are supposed to wash your feet.” 


Basin & Pitcher used when Johns Ellington proposed to my dear friend, Cheryl, more than 13 years ago...and yes, he washed her feet...

They had prepared a basin for me.  It was full of water and some lovely soap that felt silky and soft.  I had never experienced this before.  As Jesus washed his disciples’ feet, so He washed mine through these dear friends.  As they washed my feet, I wept.  And they prayed.  They prayed so many sweet prayers for me.  They didn’t know about my sinful thoughts or my broken heart.  But God did.  And He washed me clean.

When I got home that night and got into bed, my feet were still tingling.  I felt such mercy and love from God.  I was not shamed.  I was forgiven.  And I moved on…after receiving such love and such forgiveness, I had no more desire for the sin that had tugged at my heart.  I wanted God more.

Greg & Allison Miller


Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance? Romans 2:4



Greg Serving his Bride...


Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms... Ephesians 6:10-12


Listen to this classic from Leslie Phillips:




12 comments:

  1. Love to you, my brave and amazing friend. Thank you for your transparency in daring to name this. . . and praying for those who are pierced - and freed! - because of it!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Love,
    Fuller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fuller! I am willing to share my life so that others can know God is real and He LOVES us so...

      Delete
    2. Wow, what a wonderful story. Thanks for your courage to share. You are a blessed women. You are blessing many people. I hope to see you next year when I'm in the US.

      Delete
    3. Thank you! Where do you live? When are you travelling to the US?

      Delete
  2. Thank you for being willing to share such a beautiful story of how God uses His people to demonstrate how much He loves us. Yes, wanting God more than we want anyone else and knowing He is our beloved and we are His cherished possession.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice - you are one amazing woman and talented writer. I'm so blessed to know you - you are an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill! God has pursued me all the days of my life...relentlessly. Even when I couldn't see Him...I am so grateful.

      Delete
  4. Wow its funny I camr across this, I had a point where I had a sense that the Lord wanted me to wash a friends feet also, but I was unsure if i did it I could explain why I felt the need to. Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, praying for such experience

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing. All of us have been so stupid at times. None of us are perfect. I love your transparency and courage. What beautiful photos you chose! I was right there in that room with you getting your feet washed from your description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana! It was a special evening. I will never forget...

      Delete