Friday, March 29, 2013

The NutriBullet





So, I succumbed to the late-night infomercial on the NutriBullet.  I am proud to say that I did not pay “6 easy payments of $19.99.”  I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and used a 20% off coupon (did you know that they never expire, despite the expiration date?) and paid just $80.  My first time to use it was one day in February, around 2:00 PM.  I decided to make a green smoothie for a late lunch.  I loaded up the Large cup with Kale, Spinach, Pineapple, Strawberries, Banana, and Blueberries.  I locked the cup in place on the base and pressed down with eager anticipation…and…nothing!  No action whatsoever.  I am obviously hungry as it is 2:00.  I am frustrated and disappointed…and determined to not waste the ingredients already in the large cup.  So I unplug the unit, grab the receipt, and head down to Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  I walk in looking like a hungry, crazy lady in sweatpants, disheveled and no makeup, holding a NutriBullet full of unprocessed food.  “Someone please help me!  I am trying to make my lunch and this thing will not work.”  A young clerk gave me a bewildered smile and told me to leave it at the front desk and go ahead back and get a replacement.  She plugged it in to make sure it did not work.  Then I unpacked a new one and locked the cup in place on it.  A satisfying “Whir” ensued...yippee!  Lunch was ready.  I left the store carrying my lunch and the replacement base.  Mission accomplished.  It was delicious! 


Since that day, I have been enjoying green smoothies for breakfast whenever I have the ingredients on hand.  Here is what I enjoyed this morning:

A fistfull of Kale and Spinach
Several slices of Fresh Pineapple
Several large spoonfuls of Frozen Blueberries
1 Tablespoon of Chia Seeds (The IT food of 2013!)
Dried Goji Berries (just what I had left)
Water


It tastes plenty sweet with the pineapple.  Sometimes I pour pineapple juice in as well if there is any at the botton of the container.  The avocado is caloric  BUT so nutrient-rich it is worth it! (read more about it here)  Plus, it thickens the Smoothie.

The Beauty of the smoothie is that you really don't need a recipe...just pick foods rich in nutrients, pick something to thicken it (Avocado, Banana, Coconut Oil) and pick something naturally sweet (pineapple, blueberries, strawberries, etc).  This is my new favorite breakfast.

Note:  As always, click on anything in this blog high-lighted in Blue and a link will open to a new window.

PS  A shout out and thank you to my friend, Kim Burdick, for treating me to my first green smoothie and showing me the ropes...

3 comments:

  1. LMBO!!! Oh I wish I could have been there to see you going in to BBAB with your loaded nutribullet! This is beautiful!
    Thanks for sharing...
    I love your writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet! How's your garden this year? Are you planting lots of Monsanto-free veggies?

      Delete
  2. Fabulous. . . .hoping that one of those is under my Christmas tree this year - -miraculously! ;)

    ReplyDelete