Sunday, March 10, 2013

This Time Last Year

Friday finished my first full week of work since mid-December.  I had a long Christmas Holiday and worked just one full day in January...until March 4th. Needless to say, this was an exhausting week. It was a very good week as well.  It was a week of memorizing lots of new names and faces...a week of getting phone and computer access, passwords to unfamiliar software and access to files with budgets and financial results and lots of new information.  And in the middle of the week, I had the privilege of attending a Bobcats game with many of our Charlotte Sales Team.  Here's a picture of me in the midst of our male-dominated team.




Friends who know me well will smile as I never mind being the only female in a room full of testosterone.  One time, years ago, I arranged it myself by hosting "guy night" at my home when I first purchased surround sound.  I showed The Matrix to a small group of gentlemen from my church singles' fellowship.  It was great fun, meant to be tongue-in-cheek, however, some of their girlfriends were not so appreciative of my "guy night."

I think that I am really going to like my new work home.  This week was a tough one, though, with the adjustment of getting back in to the swing of things professionally. When my alarm went off Friday morning, my first thought was, "Thank you, God, that it is Friday!"  My second thought was of this time last year...

It was actually Monday, March 12th of 2012 when I had a hint that something was wrong.  I began bleeding again for the first time in 11 years, for the first time since my Ovaries were removed due to Cancer in 2001.  I also had some pain and discomfort that day, so I drove myself to the Urgent Care in York, SC (where I was working at the time.)  They hooked me up to an EKG to be sure that I wasn't having a heart attack.  I was okay in that regard.  So, I made an appointment with my OBGYN for Wednesday, the 14th.

An ultrasound was performed at the OBGYN and the resulting images showed two tumors in my uterus.  I would need surgery to have the uterus removed.  There was no way to determine if it was cancer or not until after surgery.

I had an MRI subsequent to the ultrasound and before the surgery.  I was in the tube for over an hour and a half.  They were looking for signs of tumors, probably because of my cancer history.  I am not claustrophobic by nature, but being in a tube for that long of a time was disconcerting.  Actually, it was frightening. The sounds of the machine were like a machine-gun.  I didn't dare open my eyes in the tube for fear of fear itself.  I was afraid that I would discover in that moment that I was indeed very claustrophobic and that I would panic.  I kept my eyes closed and I recited the 23rd Psalm and I prayed.  It made all the difference. 

Within one week, I found myself recuperating from major surgery once again...




The clip on my finger is a heart monitor.  The things around my legs inflated and deflated in a massage-like motion to keep circulation going (preventing blood clots). I think I am heavily drugged in this photo.  At least, I hope I am because I sure look like it.  

The surgery was supposed to be a quick one (robotic surgery) with a one-night stay in the hospital.  To do this, they punctured me in 4 places in my abdomen to insert the robotic arms.  What they found was that my scar tissue was so extensive from my cancer surgery in 2001, that my intestines looked like they were covered in saran wrap.  They accidentally punctured my bowels, requiring stitches to my bowels and stitches to close the 4 places which could not be used for robotic surgery.  Now I would have to be opened up in the same way that I was in 2001, a top to bottom cut that goes from my pelvic area to above my belly button.  And my stay in the hospital would be extended to six days.

When I awoke from surgery I was in very intense pain in both my abdomen and my back.  The pain was so much more than I remembered from 2001.  I kept trying to tell the nurses about the pain but they didn't seem to notice me.  They were talking to each other about me..."Did you see what a mess she was in?  Her intestines were a mess!"  Because of the intense pain and the nurses' conversations, I assumed that I was dying.  I thought that the cancer had spread everywhere, that I had cancer through-out my body that proved to be a "mess."  I felt so sad.  I cried out to the Lord and asked for His help and grace.  "This is it," I thought.  This might be the end of my road here on earth.  I thought of my sister, Diane, who was in the waiting room, and how sad she must be.

When I was wheeled to my hospital room, my sister, Diane, was waiting for me.  I braced myself for her tears.  But she was not crying!  How heartless was that?  I asked her why she was not crying and she said that I was going to be fine.  I didn't believe her at first.  "Are you sure?" I asked.  It took her awhile to convince me that I was not dying.  I thought that she was just trying to keep my spirits up.

Diane spent the first night with me and we stayed up all night long talking.  It was so nice to have that time with her.  She was extremely uncomfortable in the chair beside the bed but she was a trouper.  I liked being awake so that I could press the morphine button.  It took awhile to get my pain under control after surgery.

I did find out later in the week, from my pharmacist-friend, that the hospital does not administer the same pain medication that I had in 2001.  Primarily, in an effort to cut costs, the pain meds have been reduced.  I am not sure if it is quality or quantity, but let me assure you that it does make a significant difference.  After my surgery in 2001, I was so weak that I could not raise my arm to scratch my face. But I felt little pain.  This time, I could raise my arms, but the pain was intense.  I think I liked 2001 better.  I wonder what amount of pain meds will be administered once Obamacare takes full effect.  It is not a pretty thought...




My week in the hospital went quickly.  I had many visitors, lots of flowers, and plenty of phone calls, too.  My sister visited daily, as she would stay in town several weeks to take care of me.  What a blessing she is in my life!  She spent several weeks taking care of me in 2001 as well.  It is wonderful to have a sister who is also a dear friend.

On the sixth and final day of my hospital stay, I found out that I had Endometrial Cancer.  There was just one tumor.  The other "tumor" turned out to be scar tissue from the 2001 surgery.  The good news was that they believed they had removed it all when they removed my uterus.  I would not need chemotherapy this time.  Also good news was that it was not related to my Ovarian Cancer.  I am completely healed from the Ovarian Cancer.  This cancer was probably due to the hormone replacement regimen that I had been on for eleven years.  Yes, those cancer warnings should be heeded.  Hormone replacements do cause cancer.  Most women are not on them for eleven years.  I was so young when I lost my ovaries that my doctors believed it was worth the risk for me.  In retrospect, I am not so sure.

Okay, enough about the medical stuff.  It happened.  I got through it.  God chose to heal me once again from cancer.  I am a two-time survivor now.  What was so amazing and wonderful were all the ways I was cared for and loved through this event.  Each time I have had crisis' in my life, God showed up through the hands and arms and hearts of people He puts in my life.  God really showed up in a big way. 

I don't think I could list it all...so please don't be offended if I don't mention you.  But I do want to share some of what I remember:


  • My sister, Diane, took a big break from her life in Florida to be with me for almost 3 weeks.  She stayed at my house and visited me me for the week I was in the hospital and stayed an additional week and a half to help me and keep me company. 
  • My dear friends Laura Sims and Anne Cathey came and prayed with me and my sister before surgery and kept my sister company, as did friend, Suzanne Tullis.
  • Dennis Sult, Director of Congregation Care came and prayed with me in the prep room before surgery.  It was great to have him there in a place where not even family was allowed to be.
  • My dear friend, Rosanne, came and cleaned my house in preparation for my sister's visit while I worked late at my job to prepare for being out for 6 weeks.
  • My Sunday School Class at Good Shepherd, The Ark, and Jean Obi, who is in charge of congregation meals really helped make this time easier.  The Ark is a praying group and I know that their prayers have made a difference in my life.  Many people volunteered to bring me meals and many visited me.  
  • John Pavlovitz, Youth Pastor at Good Shepherd, brought me flowers and visited me in the Hospital and prayed with me.
  • Many other friends and relatives sent flowers and visited in the hospital. Anne Romanello came and annointed me with oil and prayed for me.
  • My tennis team out of Park Road Park was a huge help in providing meals for me and my sister.  What a wonderful group of ladies we had that season.
  • My friend, Stephanie Jordan, came all the way from China Grove to vacuum for me.
  • The 2nd grade class of Mrs. Hall at Jefferson Elementary sent me 21 handmade get well and Easter cards.  I had the privilege of being a Lunch Buddy to Kristen in Mrs. Hall's class and she and her friends made me some beautiful cards.
21 beautiful cards


  • My niece, Erin, came for 5 days and overlapped with my sister.  It was wonderful to have her here and so much fun for the 3 of us to be together.  This is rare as Diane lives in Florida and Erin lives in Raleigh.
Erin, Janice, and Diane

  • The best part of Erin's visit was her help in decluttering my life!  This was an answer to a prayer request I shared with The Ark class leader, Jill, at the beginning of the year.  I would have never imagined the way that God would orchestrate the answer to this prayer, but I am so appreciative!  Erin helped clean out all of my closets and we took 2 1/2 car loads of donated items to my Church's storage unit.  Here are some pictures of Erin in action: 



As you can see, Erin had her hands full.  These were just the shoes...

Once again, SO MANY unexpected blessings came out of a seemingly bad situation.  I am learning more and more that the circumstances in life are not the main events...the main events are the way God shows up in the midst of circumstances.  The main events are the choices we get to make as we navigate through the circumstances of our lives.  The main events are the ways we are transformed as we yield our lives to God.  

I am so glad that He gave me ears to hear and eyes to see Him at work.  I wouldn't trade it, not for anything.

And we know that in all things god works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to his purpose.  Romans 8:28 NIV



No comments:

Post a Comment