Sunday, December 15, 2013

Christmas Coffee with God




So I woke up this morning feeling unsettled and tired.  I had planned to go to the 8:30 service at church...there are lots of things to do today.  I enjoyed a Christmas party last night and there is one at lunch time today with some dear girlfriends.

I peeked at Facebook, as I always do when I am still lying in bed.  Our new Youth Pastor, Devin Tharp, had posted this:

"The loud boisterous noises of the world make us deaf to the soft, gentle, and loving voice of God."   Henri Nouwen

Yes!  That is what I am feeling during the bustle of the Christmas season.  Isn't it ironic that a time of year when we are supposed to be celebrating God's greatest gift to us...Himself...we become distracted from Him in our celebrating?  How can that be?

The Lord said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.  "Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was and earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.  I Kings 19:11-12

Why does God choose to speak in the still, small voice?  Why is He in the gentle whisper?

I think it is because He wants us to seek Him with our whole hearts, not with distracted hearts.

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.  Jeremiah 29:13

What do you need to do today to make room for Him in your heart?  How will you make time for "the soft, gentle, and loving voice of God?"

Me...I am having coffee with God.

Listen as you spend time with Him...







2 comments:

  1. Thanks Janice! Perfect timing...sitting here paying bills, trying to "organize Christmas" instead of focusing on Him and really enjoying this season. Love Ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. Not sure which "anonymous" friend you are, but love ya back! :)

    ReplyDelete