Sunday, December 29, 2013

He is Jealous for Me

Click on the link below and listen as you read.  This is sung by the author of the song, John Mark McMillan...(most familiar version is sung by David Crowder).  For the poignant story behind the song, click HERE.



Did you know that He is jealous for you?  He is jealous for your affection...for my affection.  That we would have no other gods before Him.  

Gods with a little "g" can be anything or anyone that we would worship with time, talent, money, sacrifice...anything all-consuming that we would put before God.  

He's not jealous in a worldly way...jealous like a abusive husband or unreasonable friend.  He is righteously jealous because He alone is worthy of our worship and devotion.  

This song has helped me to understand His jealous love in a new way.  It's a beautiful, pure love...a love that gives all unto death...a love that bends me and pushes me out of my comfort zone...a love that blesses me beyond my expectations and a love that dares to say "no" to me.  A love that denies me of things I cry for because He knows what I really need...He knows the rest of the story.  His jealous love is worthy of trust.  And complete devotion.

At times in my life I have felt completely broken...broken after the end of a dream or relationship...heart-sick, even.  One of those times, a friend wisely advised me to lean into God like a palm tree leans into the wind.  This song says he loves like a hurricane.  It feels like that sometimes. 

When I yield my "will" and lean in, something beautiful happens.  The winds die down.  The storm passes.  And I am left seemingly with "limbs that are bent but beautiful and often on the ground...but alive."  Not just alive, but with my knees and heart bent and yielded, I become more like who I was created to be...and that is a good thing.

Those bent palm trees by the shore...they know how to bend with the wind.  They aren't in danger of being snapped in half.  They know to yield.  I have learned with experience the same...I am much better off to yield my will and say "yes" to whatever God asks of me. 

It's not nearly as frightening as it used to be...I love that He is jealous for me.  Who else loves me like that?  Who else can I trust blindly with my life? Who else laid down His life, that I might live? 

..if grace is an ocean, we're all sinking...
...so heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss and my heart turns violently inside of my chest...I don't have time to maintain these regrets when I think about the way...

Maybe you feel like running away.  Maybe you know in your heart you just don't love God like that...that you can never love this jealous God.  Don't give up on yourself.  Ask Him today to plant faith in you. Ask Him to show you His love in a tangible way and keep your eyes and ears open.  He is jealous for you.  He won't leave you alone until you are His. 


...Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with god something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.  And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death--even death on a cross.  Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.   
Philippians 2:6-11

No comments:

Post a Comment