Sunday, February 10, 2013

How to Plan a Tennis Vacation

Interested in planning a tennis vacation?

You don't have to be a pro!  I was a 3.0 (just above a beginner) when I took my first tennis vacation in Vermont.  My vacation was the last week in September, which happened to be the last week of the season.  Hence, there were only 4 of us, which worked out perfectly.  We had the Pro to ourselves.  We were a mixed group, but we all played about the same level.  Serendipity!

See a detailed account of my week in my first post of this blog.

When I decided to take a tennis Holiday, I consulted this very informative website, Tennis Resorts Online.  It was an exciting prospect to choose where to go. I scoured the Index of all the different resorts.  I considered California, simply because I'd never been.  I seriously considered The John Newcombe Tennis Ranch in Texas.  Doesn't it sound like fun?  I may still get there...

I also considered The Kiawah Island Golf Resort.  My thinking here was that it was close enough to drive, saving money on airfare.  Plus, I hear it is breathtaking. However, there was no "camp", and although I would have lessons, there was no guarantee of people to play with afterwards.  The same was true for Hilton Head, which has several choices.  I had been to Hilton Head many times with friends, so I ruled it out because I wanted to explore some place entirely new.

Since my sister lives in Florida, I contemplated The Longboat Key Club and Resort in Sarasota.  I could combine my tennis trip with a trip to Cape Coral to visit family. But here, I also sensed it would be a better experience with friends.  There didn't seem to be an organized camp.  Still, the spa was tempting!

I finally decided on The Essex because it was a true camp and I had never been to Vermont.  I enjoyed a full day exploring Burlington, VT and the sunset over Lake Champlain was worth the trip in itself!




Check out this video on The Essex:






In my next post, I will share the process of planning my tennis trip to Tuscany. Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment