Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Letters from Italy Part 2 (written in 2008)


I Made it to Florence!
Saturday April 26, 2008

Ciao!

Today I took the train to Florence.  Somehow, it all worked out, even lugging my two suitcases on the metro, train, bus and then down cobblestone streets looking for my B&B, Casa Rovai.  Then up about 60 steps!  ugh...  I am staying in a 500 year old building that has only been a B&B for 2.5 years.  There is a fresco on my ceiling!  It is nice except my bathroom is down the hall.  It is a private bath but not in my room.




Yesterday I went to the National Museum in Rome and walked all over. 





Didn't eat here but I thought it was picture-worthy:





had lunch at an outside cafe beside a mother and daughter from Brazil. The daughter spoke English.  They were very nice.  Rome was a zoo since it was a national holiday and everyone was off of work.  The shops were closed but the museums were open.  By the end of the day, I realized I had a sinus infection--felt AWFUL.  So I went in early.  There was a knock on my door around 7:30.  It was the maid.  She said her boss sent her to ask me if I would attend an Italian concert with him that evening.  I was so bummed because I really would have liked to have gone, but I really was too achy and tired.  With so much vacation ahead, I felt I needed to sleep. SO...although I haven't been groped or pinched, I did get asked out on a date!  I am not sure if the "boss" is the old man or the younger sexy one with the long hair...I guess that will remain a mystery.

Today in Florence I went to the museum that has the statue of David by Michelangelo.  It was wonderful to see in person, although, I think that David was not nearly so big when he killed Goliath.  He was the smallest of his brothers, right?  Artistic license.  He is beautiful.   They sell boxer shorts and aprons at the street vendors here imprinted just with David's "masculine zone"...ha ha.  I took a picture.  (Private message me if you want to see it.)  :)

I walked all over.  I can see that I won't need to ride the bus here except to get back to the train station next week.  This city is totally walkable.  Rome was much bigger.  Although, it was manageable too.  I never got on a bus there, only the metro.

I was able to get antibiotics at a pharmacy today and they are unbelievably cheap here.  I was prepared to pay a fortune but only 4 euros!  Contrast that to my lunch, which was 23 euros (about $40).

Yesterday, when I ate by the Brazilians, I had a small plate of ravioli and diet coke and it was about $30!  Ravioli is not a main course but it was for me.  :)  They also had ravioli but after the ravioli they had big steaks.  I wonder if the Brazilian currency is doing better than the dollar?  It is pitiful...

I went to the big bridge (Ponte Vecchio) tonight at dusk and it was fun
to people watch.  They sell nothing but gold there.  Again, the prices are out of sight.  ShopNBC is the bomb!  I bought some gold from ShopNBC in the past few months so I know what I can get in the US and there is no comparison. 



This is the view from the bridge::

View of the back of the Uffizi Gallery from the Ponte Vecchio Bridge


Tomorrow I will be picked up by the organizer of the tennis camp, Kevin, at noon and will go to the villa in Chianti for 7 nights.  Then I come back here for 2 nights before going to Venice.

ArrivaDerci!
Janice

1 comment:

  1. It is so Awesome to see your trip, I can image walking on cobblestone streets, hearing people speaking in Italian, and the smell of the food ... mmm.

    ReplyDelete