Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Rethinking Priorities


Rethinking Priorities


I am in transition.  My previous job ended on January 3rd.  I have been applying for that next opportunity on career builder, with recruiters, networking with peers, etc.  It has been an exciting time for me…kind of reminds me of shopping.  I am trying to live in the moment.  Explore every unturned rock that appears promising.  I have tried to withhold judgment too quickly.  Listen well and ask the right questions.  It doesn’t have to be a chore.  It can be a privilege.  I am honored that people are taking time out of their busy schedules to talk with me and to get to know me…to see if I am a good fit for their team.  I enjoy meeting new people and new companies.  There are a lot of great opportunities out there right now for someone with my skill set.  I feel blessed.

When I first began this process, I was in “work mode.”  I was used to working long hours and being focused on work goals.  I was ready to jump into a new challenge with both feet.  My goal was to find the most lucrative and interesting opportunity.  I was hoping to be re-employed very quickly.  But I said out loud, “God, I trust You to bring me a job in Your timing.  I will be unemployed as long as You want me to be and I will accept that.”  I meant it.  So when I start to get impatient, I say it again, out loud.   I have to remind myself of the truth.

A funny thing has been happening the longer I am “in transition.”  I am relaxing.  I am enjoying time with myself, time with the Lord, and time with friends.  I am experiencing community in a different way.  I am hearing God’s voice and I am interested in writing about it.  I am awakening to other parts of my life that have been neglected for awhile.  It is rather refreshing.

I’ve had an epiphany.  Well, more than one…but here is the one I am thinking of now:  my natural, “all or nothing” tendency is to use work as an excuse for avoiding the responsibility of cultivating other parts of my life.  I actually have preferred to work-too-much and have little margin of time or energy.  That way, I have avoided hard choices.  I have avoided taking care of myself, being in relationship with some people, taking care of my home, pressing in to God, exercise, church-at-times…you name it.  I imagine that I am not alone.  There are probably some proverbial “workaholic” singles, parents and/or spouses out there who can relate.  It is easier to focus on just one thing, i.e. work, at the expense of all else.  It is a noble drive in our society.  It is understood as a necessary priority, especially in this economy.

The harder way, the better way (I am beginning to see) is to learn to make responsible choices.  Maybe it is time for me to grow up.  Maybe I can take ownership of a job and give it my all for just 40 to 45 hours a week instead of 50 to 60.  Maybe I can use the other hours wisely.  Maybe I can start to live in the moment again, in every moment, not just “eat, sleep, work” moments.

Life is a series of choices.  May I have the wisdom and strength of character to choose well for myself.  As my friend, Blair, recently reminded me, “Yes agree that quality of life is an important consideration – what’s the old saying? – no one on their death bed ever says they wish they would have spent more time at the office.”

To reinforce this idea, as I lay in bed this morning, this dialogue ensued on Facebook:


David Loy
Hey you in the fast lane, how can you ever enjoy where you are if you are always concerned about where you are not? Slow down and Be present.

John Pavlovitz We may have to add Janice to "The Slow Club", David! 

David Loy I think she would like it.

Janice Lawrence Do I need to listen to a message? Point me in the right direction.

David Loy Woah. Not so fast. Slow down. No running. No hurrying.

Janice Lawrence I am a SLOW learner.

David Loy Perfect!! 


2 comments:

  1. My Sweet Janice,

    Yes, at times when I missed you in SS, I was concerned that you were just passing up the opportunity to be in communion with our Lord and in my heart I always love seeing you, so selfishly, I blamed it all on the fellowship with God when, in fact it was more me. See how selfish I can become when God gets in my way; like you I have words for the year which are love, peace and patience, with the greatest being love. I have asked the Lord to help me get out of HIS way so HE can accomplish, in my life what is HIS pleasure, not mine.

    I love your blogs and wait anxiously for the next one so I can live vicariously through your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Bonus Mom,
      Thanks for reading and for loving me. I am going to feature my Bonus Mom's in a post sometime soon. You might see your beautiful face on here!
      Love you!

      Delete