Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I am...A Walking Miracle


I was reminded today, that I am a walking miracle. 

It was while I was sitting in the exam room of my Oncologist, Dr. Matt McDonald at Presbyterian Cancer Center.  

I visit an Oncologist quarterly because I had Endometrial Cancer in March 2012.  At that time, my uterus and the cancer was removed.  But I have to get “scraped” every 3 months to check to see if any cancer cells are still hanging out in there.  Fun, huh?  Apparently, it is to some...as he walked in to  examine me, I had accidentally hit the Pandora button on my phone and music started to play.  I was embarrassed and I scrambled to turn it off.  He said, "You can have mood music if you like."  and he went on to say, "One woman recently chose to read her smut novel while I was doing her exam."  (Wonder if it was 50 Shades..)  No, he is NOT creepy.  He and the nurse and I all laughed together.  You have to laugh, right?  It really does help to alleviate some awkwardness at times.

I regress..anyway as I waited, I was facing a large chart with information about Ovarian Cancer.  I read the chart and I found the words below particularly moving:



I am an Ovarian Cancer Survivor as well.  A nearly TWELVE-year Ovarian Cancer survivor!  One of my ovaries was the size of a watermelon when the cancer was discovered.  Reading this poster reminded me that the majority of women who are diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer are in advanced stages of the disease (Stage 3 or 4).  Despite my huge tumors, mine was classified as stage  1C.  One, because it had not spread, and C because it had ruptured.  (My Endometrial Cancer is likely due to 11 years of hormone replacement).

Who am I, that God would choose to spare my life from this disease?  Who am I, that I should get so many "bonus years" added to my life?  And what have I done with them?

It is humbling to me.  It is awe-inspiring.  Thank You, God, for this reminder today.  

"...your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."  Psalm 139:16  NIV

As I left the cancer center,  the  nurse commented that I was the happiest patient they had seen all day.  Being "in transition" surely agrees with me.  So does being incredibly thankful for another day of life...

No comments:

Post a Comment