Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Angel Oak

Angel Oak Tree   Johns Island, SC

Dear Janice,
I loved your post and the verses from Isaiah. "Oaks of rightousness" is something that the Lord has been speaking to me about, especially this year...I think it is the fact that these trees are able to withstand hurricanes, hail, rain, and drought for many years. The limbs are bent but beautiful and often on the ground...but alive. I have been fascinated by the live oaks.

Love in the Lord Jesus Christ, Katherine

So, after I posted my last entry about my favorite Bible Passage (which was a Christian Mingle question, by the way), my dear friend Katherine Hearn sent me this email.  

The picture is one I found on the Internet.  The tree is near Charleston, SC.  I have been to Charleston many times but I have never visited this old tree.  I think it will be on my list of things to do next time.

This particular tree is estimated to be between 500 and 1500 years old!  

I said in my last post that I long to be that "...Oak of righteousness...A planting of the Lord for the day of His splendor."  

I had a Pastor once who called me an oak of righteousness.  I didn't take it too seriously at the time.  That's probably a good thing.  The reason he called me that was that often I would go to the altar for prayer and to soak in the Lord's presence.  I would stand, sometimes for hours, when people around me would fall under the weight of the Holy Spirit.  I know it sounds crazy to some, but when there is prayer and the Holy Spirit of God is present in a extraordinary way, people have trouble standing in His presence.  Some people call it "being slain in the Spirit."  Some of you are very skeptical of this.  I don't blame you.  Satan has a counterfeit for everything.  Sometimes people fall to the ground because they think it is expected of them.   Sort of a spiritual peer pressure.  I refuse to do so in that regard.  I will fall if God pushes me but not if man does.  So I stand.  And I stand.  And I wrestle in my heart for God's blessing like Jacob wrestled in Genesis Chapter 32.  I say in my heart, "I will not leave until you bless me, Lord."  And how He has blessed me...

Yes, I think I will visit this Angel Oak on my next visit to the Charleston Area.  I feel connected somehow to this grand tree.  This tree that has withstood "hurricanes, hail, rain and drought for many years."  This tree whose "limbs are bent but beautiful and often on the ground...but alive."  A kindred spirit, indeed.









"...to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion--to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.  They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor."  Isaiah 61:2-3


2 comments:

  1. I just loved reading this, and the trees are so beautiful! I would like to visit them someday.

    ReplyDelete