Thursday, January 30, 2014

Fresh Bread: No More Moldy Manna Part II



In my recent post I talked about life with one salad spinner.  It has been about 10 years since that season.  My salad spinner is wearing out...it just doesn't spin like it used to.  It may be time for a new one.

I have needed tune ups since that lesson with my dear friends.  My niece, Erin, also has superb organizational skills and in 2012 she visited and helped me purge more of my extra possessions. 




Here's the funny thing about possessions...you can get rid of all you want but if you keep bringing more home...you will end up right back where you started.  
Even though I didn't buy another salad spinner, I bought plenty of clothes, shoes, jewelry, and other sundry items that I didn't always need.  

I have found that the more stuff I have, the more time I spend caring for it, cleaning it, organizing it (or not and stepping around it).  Frankly, I am weary of this cycle.

In the process of lifestyle change, some things are trial and error.  Some habits die hard.  That doesn't mean giving up.  That just means it takes several tries to get it right...to move forward.  I hate to even use the phrase "get it right" because there is no perfection this side of heaven.  What I mean, is getting to a healthier place...a place closer to balance.  For people like me with "all or nothing" tendencies, that doesn't mean selling everything and living on the street.  It means cultivating a healthier relationship with my possessions and holding them loosely.  It means sharing my extras and thinking twice before I bring something new in to my home, "Do I need this?" and maybe, "What will I let go of in order to make space for this?"

I am finding myself in a new season of "letting go." It seems I must empty my life of certain things in order to make room for something better.  The process can be painful at times, but it is exciting, too.  This God I serve is wild and passionate and has a remarkable sense of humor.  I say "never" and He says, "Oh, really?"  Then I say, "Yes, please."

I had always heard that "things" don't provide happiness.  I believed it, to a degree, but I had to find out for myself.  It's true.  Totally true.  I like nice things...but they do not feed my soul.  Not one bit.  

There is nothing in this world that satisfies like pursuing God.  Nothing.  That is because He is my Creator.  He knows me better than anyone.  He created me for a purpose and for life that is truly life.  He designed me to reflect His glory and to be his hands and feet and voice during the brief days I am here.  May I continue to walk forward in to whatever He has for me.  May I continue to let go of anything that weighs me down.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame,and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.   Hebrews 12:1-3




No comments:

Post a Comment